Help support WeTheArmed.com by visiting our sponsors.

Author Topic: Who hates their KaBar TDI sheath?  (Read 18050 times)

luke213(adamsholsters)

• Senior Contributor
    • Adams Holsters

Who hates their KaBar TDI sheath?
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:18:47 pm »
I do! I bought a TDI last week, one of the small ones with a straight blade and I gotta say I like the knife. Great feel and I love the fact that it holds very tight in hand. I'm not a knife guy, I'm a pocket knife guy but the last thing I ever want to be in is a knife fight, that said I was a Boy Scout and my motto still is Be Prepared.

Anyways knife is great, sheath is one of the worst I've encountered, bulky for what it needs to be and the clip is absolutely terrible, doesn't clip on my belt and it's designed for one that's bigger? It's a terrible terrible clip design. Nearly lost the knife already because the clip doesn't go wide enough for my gun belt. So tonight after nearly losing it I got mad and made a cheap one out of kydex. I don't plan on selling these, that's why it's here rather than in my section I just thought you guys would appreciate the frustration. At some point down the road a revised version could be for sale but I doubt it, I'll stick to holsters;)

There is just pressure retention and it's thin, running one of my basic clips from my holsters just with two chicago screws for retention adjustment. No extra junk at all, just simple function. Oh I forgot the other thing I hate about the stock case, bad grip on knife in case, can't get a full combat grip. With this one I can.

MichiganI am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

WeTheArmed.com

• Advertisement

rjohnson4405

Re: Who hates their KaBar TDI sheath?
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:10:00 am »
    As an attendee of TDI (great training school BTW) I know their product lines pretty well.

There is a company (FIN designs) that partners with them and makes kydex gun and knife accessories for their stuff.

http://www.findesigns.net/fin.html

Your sheath looks great Luke, just in case anyone wants to buy one since he's being selfish.  :neener

luke213(adamsholsters)

• Senior Contributor
      • Adams Holsters

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:22:00 am »
    I saw those the other day and they looked really nice;)

That's actually one of the reasons I don't plan on doing one in kydex for sale other than I don't have time;) I will say though I'm considering making one from leather that also carries a surefire light. I've been thinking that's the two things I don't take off even when I disarm to go places I can't carry.

Hmm more ideas as always;)

Luke
    MichiganI am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

21B

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:19:25 pm »
    I love the sheath that comes with my TDI, but I got the bigger blade, tanto edge--the sheath for the bigger one is great, compatible with MOLLE gear.  It doesn't look like your sheath is made for the bigger one, looks too small.

luke213(adamsholsters)

• Senior Contributor
      • Adams Holsters

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 09:46:22 pm »
    I'm working on a new one, little improvement in leather but the one that I hate that came with mine had this clip on it, and about 75% of my hate is for the clip. Oh and it's the small one of the two, max compatibility with knife laws because we travel all over the place.

Luke

luke213(adamsholsters)

• Senior Contributor
      • Adams Holsters

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 07:42:59 pm »
    Well I decided that plastic just wasn't doing what I want, I guess I'm a leather guy first. So I made one out of leather the other day, I'm sure everyone can see my normal IWB holster design coming out in the sheath but hey it works;) Only downside is with everything I carry I'm running out of belt, so either I need to gain weight and get a larger belt or start off loading gear to other lines:) Oh and the clips are interchangeable with my Texas holster so I can run tuckable or anything with it which I dig, been carrying it this week and so far I like it.

Still no plans to sell them though, I'm going to stick with things that throw lead rather than sharp things at least for now;) Hmm maybe sharp things that throw lead ;D

Luke

Tom The Impaler

• Madness, One Step Beyond

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 07:04:30 pm »
    Well I decided that plastic just wasn't doing what I want, I guess I'm a leather guy first. So I made one out of leather the other day, I'm sure everyone can see my normal IWB holster design coming out in the sheath but hey it works;) Only downside is with everything I carry I'm running out of belt, so either I need to gain weight and get a larger belt or start off loading gear to other lines:) Oh and the clips are interchangeable with my Texas holster so I can run tuckable or anything with it which I dig, been carrying it this week and so far I like it.

Still no plans to sell them though, I'm going to stick with things that throw lead rather than sharp things at least for now;) Hmm maybe sharp things that throw lead ;D

Luke

You need suspenders! More linear inches of "belt" without added radial inches! ;D
    Some people call the midwest the heartland, I prefer to think of it as the liver. Not too interesting, and easy to ignore until it quits working.

luke213(adamsholsters)

• Senior Contributor
      • Adams Holsters

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 07:06:21 pm »
    I was thinking most days my ankles still don't have gear strapped to them ;D

Wife shot down the idea of suspenders though, she insists that I'm too young to wear them. I on the other hand love the idea of a support gear like suspenders;)

Luke

IMSU

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:42:30 pm »
    Shoot! I just saw this after I posted about the TDI in your other thread. Neat holster variants you're coming up with from being annoyed with the stock Kydex, though.
    Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty. -Wendell Philips

The attempt to make heaven on earth invariably produces hell. -Karl Popper

luke213(adamsholsters)

• Senior Contributor
      • Adams Holsters

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 02:52:52 pm »
    Shoot! I just saw this after I posted about the TDI in your other thread. Neat holster variants you're coming up with from being annoyed with the stock Kydex, though.

I actually need to spend some more time on this, my first one in this thread worked fair/good better than the stock one. However I picked up the KaBar Large in boot/leg option and built another one which is better but still not what I want out of it. So one of these days I'm going to sit down and work out something that works well for them. Right now I would say they have spent a little time in carry but the majority of time in my drawer waiting for me to build out something comfortable to carry them;)

Luke

Musashi

• The Bronze
    • Staff Member Emeritus
    • Contributor
    • Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 03:31:27 pm »
    a sharp thing that throws lead...hmmm.... like this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Virginia"The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries." --Our illustrious leader OBAMA. Tampa, Fla., Jan. 28, 2010

luke213(adamsholsters)

• Senior Contributor
      • Adams Holsters

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 03:52:24 pm »
    That would work!:)

Help support WeTheArmed.com by visiting our sponsors.